Saturday, March 28, 2009

Out of the "office"

As far as protocol goes, I was a pretty lousy Christian.

I wasn't in church once! No home church. No new "hip" church. Nope, instead I was partaking in the Big Climb. Annual fundraiser to get folks to give money to leukemia and lymphoma research. In return, I walked up a flight of stairs. Twice. (Shrugs) Somehow it all works out and they get mucho dinero.

The on Monday night I skipped small group (c-group, bible study; call it whatever makes ya happy) because a friend of mine was having a CD release party. I still have a cassette tape he made in high school. When you've been friends for 13 years... you're kinda obligated. ;)

With all that, it felt like a bit of a God-less week. I have two female friends who I absolutely love to death and can't imagine them being unChristian. But they both say they don't feel like attending church right now. Actually, I can think of three. One doesn't like the feeling of forced community, one didn't like the gossip that was being portrayed as "Christian concern", and another decided to do what she wanted to do and became ostracized from her Christian peers.

Feels like the church (as people) kinda failed those gals. I live a pretty quiet life, so there really isn't any gossip to deal with. I slide into church, have a good time, and can slide out with as little conversation as I please.

Still, the Sunday service focuses me. The Monday night bible study teaches me things I hadn't considered before. I value those kinds of experiences.

I didn't pray before I went up the stairs. I didn't bless my friend's synthesizer before he started to perform. No, I read my bible some, did my standard praying in the morning, and hoped that God was taking care of my friends. Not as God-less as I made it out to be.

With all that said, I appreciate the weekly touchpoint that Sunday services can provide.

Now we'll see how well I can attend and enjoy both services I plan to go to tomorrow. (I still think 3 ours of churchness is a fair chunk!) Toodles

1 comment:

Jed Carosaari said...

As someone who grew up unchurched, I say, Way to go, Phil! Church is far too bland compared to the real thing. Let us live a life more intense.